According to a new survey conducted online by Harris Poll, 50% of employers have made an internal decision about a candidate within the first five minutes – a one per cent increase on last year’s results.
So what are the influences shaping these quick-fire decisions? The survey collated the most memorable job interview mistakes employers have witnessed throughout the years; from body language faux pas to massaging lotion into their feet as well as attempting to read the palm of the interviewer.
The 10 strangest things people have done in job interviews are listed below:
- Candidate took a family photo off the interviewer’s desk and put it into her purse.
- Candidate started screaming that the interview was taking too long.
- Candidate said her main job was being a psychic/medium and tried to read interviewer’s palm, despite interviewer’s attempts to decline the offer.
- When asked what her ideal job was, candidate said “painter of birdhouses,” although they were hiring for a data entry clerk.
- Candidate sang her responses to questions.
- Candidate put lotion on her feet during the interview.
- When asked why he wanted the position, candidate replied, “My wife wants me to get a job.”
- Candidate started feeling interviewer’s chest to find a heartbeat so they could “connect heart to heart.”
- Candidate had a pet bird in her shirt.
- Candidate took phone interview in the bathroom – and flushed.
Original article on Recruitment Grapevine